Are you after a twist on the traditional bircher muesli?
Try my simple version that can be made the night before and kept in the fridge for up to three days. I love topping mine with seasonal fresh figs, spices and honey for a filling, delicious breakfast.
Nutrition tip: The season for fresh figs is between summer and autumn. Figs are rich in minerals including potassium, calcium, magnesium and iron and are a good source of fibre, which promotes healthy digestion. When choosing figs, select those that are plump and tender, have a rich, deep colour and are free from bruising. Keep your figs in the fridge and consume within one-to-two days of purchasing.
- 1 + 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup milk
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds, plus extra to serve
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 pink lady apples, grated
- 2 figs, halved
- Honey, to serve
1. Place the oats, yoghurt, milk orange juice, coconut, almonds, hazelnut and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix well to combine.
2. Cover mixture and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
3. Add the apple and stir to combine. Divide between bowls and top with yoghurt, almonds, figs, vanilla and honey. Serves 4.