There is nothing like a homemade chicken soup to help you get through the cooler Canberra months.
A bowl of this soup is like a big hug from your Mum…need I say more?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg skinless chicken thigh cutlets, trimmed
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large zucchini, finely chopped
- 2-3 celery stems, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1L chicken stock, salt reduced
- 1L water
- ½ cup risoni
- Thinly sliced green spring onions and coriander leaves, to garnish
- Fresh sourdough bread, to serve
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over a medium to high heat. Add chicken in two batches. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove chicken from pot.
- Add onion and garlic to same stockpot. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes, or until golden. Add vegetables and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until softened. Return chicken with stock and water. Boil gently, covered, for 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender, skimming if necessary. Remove chicken with slotted spoon. Cool slightly. Shred meat and discard bones.
- Add risoni to stockpot. Boil gently for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Stir in chicken. Cook, stirring, until hot.
- Garnish soup with thinly sliced green spring onions and coriander leaves. Serve with freshly baked sourdough.