Blissful mornings begin with bircher muesli. Soaked in milk overnight, this bircher muesli recipe is a filling and nutritious breakfast option for those who want to start their day on the right side of the bed!
Five reasons to start adding bircher to your morning routine
- It is so easy to prepare! Throw together the nuts and seeds, add the milk and orange juice and let soak overnight. All you have to do in the morning is add your toppings.
- It’s portable! Say good-bye to leaving for school, uni or work on an empty stomach. Simply put your bircher in a container or mason jar for those mornings on the run.
- It’s nutritious! Filled with slow-digesting oats, bircher keeps you fuller for longer! It is also full of vitamin C from the seasonal fruits, dietary fibre from the oats, calcium from the milk and yoghurt, healthy fats from the nuts and seeds and protein from the dairy sources, nuts and seeds.
- It’s delicious! You can vary the recipe to suit the seasons or your taste preferences.
- It’s convenient! Make up a big batch that lasts in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- 1 + 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 250mL milk
- 1 tbsp pepitas
- 1 apple, grated
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 tsp orange rind
- Raspberries and plain or Greek yoghurt, to serve
- Combine oats, milk, pepitas, apple and orange juice in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Stir orange rind through muesli, divide between serving bowls and top with fresh raspberries and a dollop of natural yoghurt.
Serves 2-3 (depending on morning hunger levels)