What is a ‘galette’ I hear you say?! A galette is a lazy person’s pie. AKA THE KINDA PIE I LOVE. There is no need to be delicate with this recipe…you really can not stuff it up. Trust me!
This irresistible decadent vanilla and hazelnut strawberry galette is the perfect treat for your next brunch or morning tea!
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry
- 3/4 cup firm fresh ricotta
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1egg, beaten lightly
- 500g strawberries
- 1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Plain Greek yoghurt, to serve
- Grease and line a large oven tray. Place tray in oven. Preheat oven with tray to 200°C.
- Cut a pastry sheet in half. Place pastry halves along the top and side of the second pastry sheet on a piece of baking paper; press joins to form one large sheet of pastry. Roll out pastry slightly into a 30cm square. Using a plate or bowl as a guide, mark, don’t cut, a 26cm round in the centre of the pastry. Trim corners of pastry slightly.
- Combine ricotta, 1 tbsp of caster sugar and vanilla in a small bowl; spread inside marked circle. Brush pastry border with beaten egg; roll pastry border up towards filling. Bake for 25 minutes, covering with greased foil if it starts to over brown.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice strawberries. Place remaining caster sugar, hazelnuts, cornflour and rind in a bowl; stir to combine. Just before removing tart from oven, add strawberry slices to hazelnut mixture; toss gently to combine.
- Working quickly, remove tart from oven; sprinkle strawberry mixture evenly over ricotta layer; bake tart for a further 5 minutes or until pastry is golden and strawberries are warmed through.
Recipe from Women’s Weekly