I am loving the new abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables available – thanks to Spring!
I decided to welcome day light savings and take full advantage of the longer nights and make this fresh and light salad for dinner. A quinoa and haloumi salad with fresh herbs, green vegetables and a yoghurt dressing sounded perfect!
Other things I am loving at the moment is the two long weekends we have had in a row (thanks Canberra!), my morning coffee out in the sun before I start my day (good riddance winter!) and spending time just pottering around home doing tasks that I have put off for ages! What are you enjoying at the moment?
- 1 + 1/2 cups white quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200g haloumi, sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, quartered
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Lemon wedges, to serve
Yoghurt dressing ingredients
- 1/2 cup full fat Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place the quinoa and water in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and water has been absorbed. Set aside to cool slightly.
- To make the yoghurt dressing, place the yoghurt, mint, parsley, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the quinoa, parsley, mint and half the dressing in a large bowl and toss to combine. Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the haloumi and cook for 1–2 minutes each side or until golden. Remove from heat.
- Divide the quinoa, peas, celery, cucumber, avocado and remaining dressing between the plates. Top with the haloumi and serve with lemon wedges. Serves 2.