If you fancy a pretty, yet simple and healthy, cake then this recipe is for you.
In terms of ingredients, this cake gets a big tick of nutritional approval. Not only is it packed with vitamin E from the almond meal (hello pretty skin, nails and hair), wholemeal flour and minimal sugar compared to other versions, it also has a burst of citrus flavours running throughout, as the real lemon and blood orange zest and juice give it its signature Spring flavour.
Almost too pretty to eat, this cake definitely has to be enjoyed with friends. So what better way to spend your upcoming long weekend then by being with loved ones and devouring this decadent lemon and blood orange upside down cake.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice of two lemons
- Juice of one blood orange
- Zest of one lemon
- Zest one blood orange
- Pinch of salt
For the topping:
- 1-2 blood oranges
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix the milk with the apple cider vinegar and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Zest the lemon and blood orange and then juice two lemons and the blood orange. Cut the blood oranges into thin slices and remove the peel.
- Combine the almond meal, flour, baking powder, salt, eggs and maple syrup in a bowl and mix until completely combined.
- Add the milk and lemon and orange juice and mix everything well in a food processor.
- Place a sheet of baking paper into a round baking dish and place the orange slices on the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle with maple syrup. Then add the cake batter.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until you can pull a knife out of the centre clean.
- Let the cake cool for at least 30 minutes before flipping the cake upside down. Peel back the baking paper and let cool completely.
- Garnish with almond slices, lemon or blood orange zest and coconut.