Q: How do you make a sausage roll?
A: Push it down a hill!
In honour of Father’s Day this Sunday I thought it was only fair to share a Dad joke with you!
If you are looking for a way to win over your Dad this Father’s Day, then these beef and caramelised onion sausage rolls are the way to go! Serve with some tomato chutney or caramelised onion jam and a side salad for the easiest, most delicious Father’s Day lunch.
- 600g beef sausages, skin removed
- 1/2 cup caramelised onion jam
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Tomato relish or onion jam, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the sausage meat, caramelised onion, tomato paste, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Divide the sausage mixture into 4 even portions and roll into sausage shapes. Place down the centre of each pastry half and brush the edges with egg.
- Roll to enclose, ensuring the seam is underneath, and place on lightly greased oven trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Brush with egg.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Serve with the relish/onion jam and a side salad.
Serves 4. Recipe from Donna Hay.