This cold and rainy weather calls for one thing and one thing only, homemade chicken noodle soup. There is nothing more nourishing than a warm bowl of this soup with fresh parsley, crusty sourdough bread and a generous sprinkle of parmesan.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1L salt reduced chicken stock
- 500mL water
- 100g wholemeal spaghetti, broken into thirds
- 2 chicken breast fillets, cut into small strips
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Parsley, parmesan and freshly ground black pepper, to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, celery and carrot and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the stock and water and bring to the boil. Add the pasta and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the chicken and cook for a further 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Turn off heat and stir through spinach leaves.
- Serve with fresh parsley, parmesan and pepper.