Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean we have to stick to meat-heavy meals. Low in fat and high in minerals such as selenium, zinc, iron and magnesium and B vitamins like niacin, this light and healthy spaghetti alle vongole makes for a perfect midweek wintery meal.
- 1kg clams (vongole)
- 400g spaghetti
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, stalks finely chopped, leaves finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 dried chilli, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- Soak clams in cold water for 30 minutes to remove any grit. Rinse and drain.
- Cook pasta as per packet instructions in a saucepan of salted boiling water. Drain, reserving 1 tbsp liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/3 cup olive oil in a large frypan over high heat. Add parsley stalks, garlic, tomatoes and chilli.
- Season and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Cover pan and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes or until clams are cooked and shells open.
- Toss pasta through sauce and add parsley leaves, reserved cooking liquid and the remaining olive oil.
- Transfer to bowls and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.