Looking for a hearty vegetable soup that will get you through the cold and flu season? Filled to the brim with veggies, cannellini beans for protein and of course some yummy sourdough bread for your carbohydrates, this Tuscan Vegetable Soup is the perfect, nutritious meal. Make a large batch on the weekend and you have a quick and healthy lunch option throughout the week. I do apologise in advance if you feel like you’ve been swept away to Tuscany….one can only dream!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 large Desiree potato, peeled and diced
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 4 cups veggie stock
- 8 sage leaves
- 400g ripe tomatoes, diced (or use tinned)
- 3 stems cavolo nero or kale, leaves trimmed and chopped
- 400g cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Grilled sourdough bread and a generous sprinkle of parmesan, to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often for 3-4 minutes, until very soft.
- Add carrots, celery, zucchini, potato and chilli flakes. Cook, stirring for 4-5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in stock, sage and tomatoes. Cover and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cavolo nero or kale and beans and simmer for 5 minutes or until leaves are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with crusty sourdough and a generous sprinkle of parmesan.
Recipe thanks to the Sydney Markets