Schnitzel can now be a regular feature in the mid-week meal plan with this light and healthy version! Using quinoa flakes instead of breadcrumbs and wholemeal spelt flour, this ‘healthified’ version tastes just as delicious and is one of my favourite comfort foods! It even gets my 18 year old brother’s tick of approval…..which says a lot as he has had plenty of schnitzel in his short life span!
- 2 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1/2 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 cups quinoa flakes
- 6 x veal schnitzels
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges, to serve
Pea, Mint and Feta Smash Ingredients
- 4 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
- 100g persian feta, crumbed
- To make the pea smash, place the peas in a large bowl and roughly mash with a potato masher. Add the mint, salt, pepper, lemon and feta. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Place the eggs, garlic and salt in a bowl and whisk with a fork to combine. Place the flour in a separate bowl and place the quinoa flakes on a plate. Dust the veal, one piece at a time, in the flour, dip in the egg, and press into the quinoa flakes to coat.
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook half the veal for 3–4 minutes, turning halfway.
- Repeat with the remaining oil and veal.
- Serve with the pea smash, extra mint and lemon wedges. Serves 4.