You know when you just have a hankering for something. Well this was me for a chicken laksa.
When I was younger every Friday night would be take-away night! I would finish dancing and my Mum, brothers and I would religiously go and get take-away…..and I had to admit it, watch Big Brother and their Friday night games – does anyone else remember this!?! hahaha. Over the years my taste buds did evolve from believe it or not McDonalds…to chicken Laksa’s. Back then the feeling of Friday nights was the best feeling in the world! Moments like that you don’t appreciate at the time but looking back on it bring such warm memories. I hope when I have kids I can carry on that same tradition (minus Big Brother). The other night my Mum and I were craving a good laksa and when you can’t find one – you make one! This is a Donna Hay recipe – which means you can’t go wrong! I adapted it slightly and chucked in a few veggies (the nutritionist within me can’t be tamed).
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! You can also easily halve the recipe like we did.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1L chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 x 180g chicken breasts, trimmed
- 200g cooked flat rice noodles
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced, blanched
- 2 bunches of Chinese broccoli, blanched
- Coriander leaves, thai basil leaves, fried shallots and sliced long red chilli to serve
Laksa paste ingredients:
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled
- 2 eschalots, peeled
- 3 long red chillies
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only
- 4 coriander roots
- 3cm piece fresh tumeric
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup grated palm sugar
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- To make the laksa paste chop the garlic, ginger, eschalots, chillies, lemongrass and coriander roots. Finely grate the tumeric.
- Place all laksa paste ingredients into a small food processor. Add the fish sauce, palm sugar, ground coriander and cumin and process until a fine paste forms.
- Boil a saucepan of water for the vegetables.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat. Add the laksa paste and cook for about 6 minutes, or until it become fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk, stock and water and bring to the boil. Add the fish sauce, lime leaves and chicken and cook for around 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile blanch vegetables and drain.
- Remove the chicken and shred using two forks. Put back into liquid.
- Divide the noodles between 4-6 bowls and top with laksa, vegetables and shredded chicken.
- Top with coriander, basil, fried shallots and chilli to serve.