Now you may think I am lying to you when I say this but tonight I made a delicious AND healthy butter chicken! Like you probably are now, I was a bit hesitant when I started making this dish and used ingredients like coconut water over coconut milk but I am not one to doubt Donna Hay! Despite needing to make the paste from scratch, this meal is going into my meal plan repertoire as it is the epitome of GH Nutrition. Healthy without being bland and boring!
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup unsalted roasted cashews, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup full fat Greek yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1kg chicken thigh fillets, trimmed and chopped into 4cm pieces
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 400g can peeled tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups coconut water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch broccolini, to serve
- Steamed brown rice, to serve
- Place the garlic, cinnamon, cardamom, onion, ginger, garam masala, cashew, yoghurt and salt in a food processor and process to a smooth paste. Place the marinade and chicken in a large bowl and mix to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Meanwhile, cook enough brown rice for 1/2 cup per person.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add a third of the chicken, reserving the marinade, and cook for 2–3 minutes each side or until lightly charred. Set aside and repeat twice more with the remaining oil and chicken.
- Reduce the heat to low, return the chicken to the pan and add the reserved marinade, tomato, coconut water and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15–20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile boil or steam one bunch of broccolini.
- Top with the coriander, chilli, broccolini, extra yoghurt and cashews, and serve with rice.